GLENCOE MILL HISTORY
The Glencoe Cotton Mill was built in 1882 by William E. and James H. Holt and is located on the Haw River approximately three miles north of Burlington. Glencoe Cotton Mill produced cotton checks, stripes, and woven plaids from bale to bolt. It became one of the world's major producers of plaid fabrics. The mill remained in the Holt family until it closed in 1954.
The main building of the mill was a three-story structure where the carding, spinning and weaving departments were located. Other buildings contained the dying and finishing operations, as well as, the half-story machine shop and company store. A one story with basement was added to the front of the mill in the late 1940's to early 1950's.
Restoration of the mill and the surrounding village began in 1979 when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Hedgehog Holdings has undertaken the rehabilitation of the mill's 90,000 square feet.
Historic Landmark Designation Report, 1997 update.
Southern Textile Bulletin, December 1918.
Development of the Textile Industry in Alamance County, Julian Hughes, 1965.