GLENCOE MILL HISTORY
Built in the 1880’s, Glencoe Mill became one of the world’s major producers of plaid fabrics. The mill closed the 1950’s and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 when restoration of the village began. Today, the village contains 38 beautifully restored mill houses, the Textile Heritage Museum, and several original mill buildings. Proudly located in the heart of the historic Glencoe Mill Village along the east bank of the Haw River.
The Cotton Sheds are board and batten buildings separated by brick walls. They were originally used for storing cotton, and the brick walls were a fire prevention measure.
This two story brick building was the Cotton Warehouse at Glencoe where they opened and stored cotton bales. We redeveloped this building in 2008-2009 for the Alamance Partnership for Children.
One day, before Hedgehog Holdings, LLC purchased the mill buildings at Glencoe Mill, a tremendous rumbling and crashing sound reverberated throughout the mill complex. The back wall of the Picker House had collapsed, pulling down the roof and the top 5-6 feet of the front wall. The decorative brick work, arched windows, and the small front tower make this building special, and we knew that we'd rather rebuild and repair than tear it down. Our masons worked their magic and painstakingly restored the front of the building to the exact dimensions and configuration of the original front wall.
When the Mill was in operation, this was where they opened the bales of cotton, mixed it, and ran it through tappers in preparation for spinning. The building had to be built away from the Main Mill because it was particularly susceptible to fire because of all the loose cotton fibers. Currently, the Picker House remains an open courtyard, but it is the perfect size for a small office or enterprise.
This large two-story brick building has seen numerous additions over the years. Originally built around 1913, the Mill company added onto this building up until 1950. This is where the flannels went through the final stages of production – the nap was added to the cloth, and then the flannel was folded, stored, and packed.
The Main Mill is the building most people think about when they think of Glencoe. It’s the flagship building — the one with the tower, the one with the rows and rows of arched windows and decorative brickwork. Originally, the building was used for weaving, spinning, and wrapping the Glencoe flannels. When the mill stopped operating in the early 1960's, Glencoe Carpet Mills took up residence and operated there until the early 1990's.
An addition to the Main Mill was built in 1950 to house the modern spinning and weaving equipment. This 9,500 square foot building is two stories tall and is connected to the Main Mill building on both levels through the original tower.
The Machine Shop is one of the oldest and most prominent buildings in the mill complex, and it features refurbished doors and windows, rustic wood floors, exposed wood ceilings, and wide open spaces. We completed the rehab in 2012 for Glencoe Studios, LLC. The building now has artist studios as well as a classroom and meeting space for rent.
The Dye House was built during the same period as the Main Mill, Picker House, and Machine Shop, c. 1880. Several additions were made to it throughout the years, but originally this building was used for dying and drying cotton. During the early 1900's, between 6,000-10,000 pounds of cotton were dyed here every week.
It is currently home to The Chairman's Retreat.